Thursday, October 11, 2007

Not Enough Time

Ok, so the clock is ticking away. Carol and I leave for the Glorieta Writer's Conference in New Mexico on Tuesday of next week, and there are a thousand things that need to be done before departing. I haven't quite finished the manuscript for my children's book I will be pitching, nor do I have my book proposal finished or about 10 other things that need to be done specifically for the conference. Not to mention all of the "normal" duties that I have to get done - you know the house will not clean itself, as much as I wish for one of those Smart Houses like on the DCOM (For those of you without children this is a Disney Channel Original Movie) and the laundry will not wash itself either. Although I am thankful that with my fairly new washer, I no longer have to listen to see when the rinse water comes in and it is time to put in softner, I can put everything in when I start it and forget about it until I hear the beep.

So enough rambling. I really know in my head that I just need to give control of everything that needs to get done to God and what happens will be the right thing, but that is easier said than done. This whole concept of not enough time to do everything has really been in my head the last few days. I kept saying over and over, "Lord, there just isn't enough time." Then, a few days ago, just as I was complaining to God about this, a Chris Tomlin song came on the radio that said "Time is in His hands."

Well of course I thought. Time is in His hands. He created it. He makes things happen at just the right time. And, He has control over it just as He does everything else. There is even a specific example in the Bible in Joshua 10 where God makes the sun stand still so that Joshua and his men could complete the battle they were fighting. The past few days I have wished He would make the sun stand still and give me more hours in the day to complete everything I have to get done. It is a battle in a sense. I am trying to do everything "as unto the Lord" and the enemy is doing everything he can to stop me.

My problem is/was that I am just not using my time in the way He intended completely. My Bible study homework this week used the verse from Malachi 3:10 to bring the whole tithe into the storehouse. That doesn't just mean money... it means time too. He wants us to give the first, most important part of our day to Him and then He will pour out His blessings upon us. I questioned if I am giving enough time to Him. Are there things that are taking up my time that I could cut out. (TV for example... even Heroes). If I am puttinng those things before Him, then no wonder I don't have enough time.

When I put Him first, He pours out blessings on me - even the blessing of more time. Things don't seem to take as long to complete and run more smoothly. I might catch every green light on the way to school instead of every red one. He just has a way of giving back to you what you give to Him - including time. And, He not only will give it back, it will be overflowing.

Luke 6:38 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Malachi 3:10 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.

Lord, help me to remember that time is in your hands and to put you first in everything.

Sweet Blessings,
Amy

4 comments:

ocean mommy said...

Praying for you.

steph.

Carol said...

Amen sister! I'm with you on that one! I need my house cleaned too! Lord, could you send a maid?
Carol

Chaotic Joy said...

Hey Girl. I just wanted you to know I made it to your blog. I enjoyed reading about you. Hope you have a great trip.

DeAnna said...

Amen, sister. I know that I am ALWAYS asking for more time. Thanks for the reminder from Malachi. And, I echo Carol.... Lord, PLEASE send a maid and personal chef. That's not too much to ask....... is it? LOL!