Friday, May 23, 2008

Conversations around the breakfast table

**This post was written yesterday, but I never posted it after I posted about SCC.

This morning for some reason we had a little more time before school than usual. The kids and I were having a discussion over breakfast after devotion. The conversation went like this:

"Mom, why did God create fear?" (Spencer)

"Well sweetie, I don't know if God did create fear. I'll have to think on that one."

"But the Bible says that God created everything and that it was all good. Fear is not good."

"You are right Spencer, the Bible does say that God created everything, but it also says that God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power, love and self discipline. It also says that perfect love casteth out fear. I need to think on it or look it up. I'm not sure what the exact answer is."

"So why does fear exist?"

"I guess it exists because it is a consequence or an outcome of sin. When Adam and Even disobeyed God and sinned in the Garden, they became ashamed and fearful because of their sin. Before that, there was no fear or shame."

"Why did God let them disobey and let fear and shame happen?"

"Well, God gave Adam and Even free will. They could choose whether to obey God or not. It wouldn't be any fun to be forced to do something would it? God doesn't force us to love and obey him, He just hopes that we will. It's our choice. Just like you choose whether or not you are going to obey Mommy and Daddy or not. When you don't obey, there are consequences right?"

"Yes, but why did Satan,...what was his name when he was an angel?"

"Lucifer"

"Yeah, why did Lucifer choose to disobey God? Did he fall the second he got pride, and did he lose everything, even his home?"
"Yes Spencer, he lost everything... even his home. The Bible says he was kicked out of Heaven. I don't know why he did what he did."

"Is he the one who makes us afraid?"

"Yes. He tries to make us afraid."

"When we accept Jesus does it immediately get rid of all of our fear?
"Well, that's kind of hard to answer. Sometimes we still fear but we shouldn't. We really should have faith. Fear and faith can't be in the same place at the same time. It's just like you and I can't both be in that chair your are sitting in at the same time."

About this time Mary Lyndsey pops in to the conversation and says...

"Mommy, do we choose if we want to be good or if we want to disobey?"

"Yes Mary Lyndsey, choose if we want to be good or not."

"So Satan chose not to be good?"

"Yes."

"Well, I want to be good, but it's just so hard sometimes."

Truer words were never spoken.
Romans 7:15-25 (NIV)
15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[c] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
21So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in God's law; 23but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. 24What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!

These kids keep me on my toes. I guess studying those Awana verses do pay off.


Here is Spencer at the Awana awards banquet Wed. night receiving his Sparks plaque. He has learned over 150 verses over the last three years.


PS Carol and I are headed to NC this weekend to speak at the Extreme Spiritual Makeover Conference. Please be in prayer for us and for the ladies that will be in attendance.

Blessings to you. TSMS should post tomorrow if Blogger works right.

Amy

7 comments:

Meg said...

"Well, I want to be good, but it's just so hard sometimes." Amen little sister!

Anonymous said...

WOW!! That is the kind of conversation I would like to have around our breakfast table one day. Thank you for a glimpse into the future.

Kimberly said...

Wow! Those are some amazing questions from your little ones! His Word is DEFINITELY at work in their precious hearts! And you did a great job answering those great big questions!!!

Praying for you and Carol! Have a great time and may God speak mightily through you both!

ocean mommy said...

Praying for you both as you travel and speak. I know that God is going to use each of you in a very specific way.

Can't wait to hear about it!!!

TAKE PICTURES! :)

steph.

Sheila said...

Out of the mouths of babes!

My kids are always "teaching" me with their questions too.

Praise God for them!

Have a great weekend. I'll be away too, so I won't be able to join in with TSMS. But I'll look forward to next week.

sheila

Cheri said...

What a great conversation. Kids are so smart.

You bet I'll be praying for you all for the conference. Praying that the Holy Spirit shows up in a mighty way, and that women from all walks of life ask Jesus to take away their sin.

Tanja said...

My oldest son Clay just received the same plaque. But my youngest son and your oldest share the name Spencer. I always thought it was such an original name, but in Bloggyville, I keep finding more of them. :-) Yep, those verses pay off big time. Go here to see how my son spouted off a verse to put me in my place...
http://threemoodycuties.blogspot.com/2008/04/being-content.html
Have a great weekend.