Thursday, May 1, 2008

A Legacy of Love/Mother's Day Photo Contest

They say a picture is worth a thousand words... in this case a picture is worth a chance at a $1000. 5 Minutes for Mom is once again sponsoring an awesome, fun contest. They are giving away $1000 American Express gift card courtesy of Egg Beaters. The contest is a Mother's Day Photo Contest. Just post one of your favorite "mother" photos and add your post to Mr. Linky. The photos can be any "motherhood inspired" photo that tells a story.

I've selected the following photos. You can't readily tell the story behind the photos... so I will share the story with you.

This is my mom and me right after coming home from the hospital. I love the way she is looking at me in this photo. It's hard to tell from the scanned image, but the look on her face is one of amazement and love. I know I feel this way when I look at my own children, so it means so much to me to see this same look of wonder on my Mom's face.This is especially true because deciding to have me wasn't exactly easy for my Mom. She was just a baby herself. She was 17 and I was an "accident." I now know there are no accidents in God's grand plan but still... she could have made a different decision. She chose to go through the scorn and ridicule of others. She chose life. A single teenage mother in the early 70's was not readily accepted like it is today.One of the main reasons I believe she made the choice she did, is because of the love shown to her by her own mother and grandmother. This picture is me, my Mom, my Grandma and my Great Grandma. They passed down a legacy of love to her. My Grandmother taught my Mom to be strong. Her husband left her when my Mom and her sisters were about 2, 6 and 7. My Grandmother raised those three girls with the help of her own mother. It was no surprise that my Grandmother was willing to help my Mom. She and my Great Grandmother "Granny Neva," took care of me during the times when my Mother couldn't. They helped raise me.

My Great Grandmother taught this lesson to my Grandma. When Granny Neva married my Great Grandfather, his first wife had died and he had three small children ages 4, 7 and 9. She took them in as her very own. When my "PaPa's" first wife died, one of his sister's had taken the children. The story goes that the same day she married my "Papa" she sent him after the children to live with them. That is what a mom does... she takes care of you no matter how difficult the circumstances.

Then when the tables are turned, you take care of your mom. My Great Grandmother had a stroke when I was about 5. You might have noticed she was in a wheelchair in the picture above. My Grandmother and I moved in with my great grandparents for her to take care of Granny Neva. She eventually needed help with everything... eating, bathing, dressing, going to the bathroom. My Grandma worked days and took care of her afternoons and nights. She did this for 6 long years.

This picture is one of my favorite recent photos. It is me, my Mom, My Grandma and my kids. My kids absolutely love their "Nanny" and "Granny." My Grandma even quit her job (yes she was still working at age 66) and moved in with my husband and me to keep Spencer while I worked. She kept him until he was 10 months old when I quit work to keep up with his multiple therapies.

My Grandmother will celebrate her 75th birthday in February. She is still passing down a legacy of love to me and my children. These women in my life have truly demonstrated to me what motherhood means.

Mom, Grandma and Granny Neva... thank you. I love you with all my heart.

Happy Mothers Day!

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

What a beautiful legacy of love that has been passed down to you and that I know also flows through you and into your children!
I loved seeing these pictures and reading about the amazing women in your life! Praise God your mom made the decision to keep you!
Blessings, sweet Amy!

LivingforGod said...

You're blessed to have such wonderful mom, grandma, and great grandma. So glad that your mom chose life! Our family is very passionate about saving the unborn. My daughter has been participating in Steps for Life since she was 5. You can visit her web page at https://www.gifttool.com/athon/MyFundraisingPage?ID=1383&AID=188&PID=22397

Cheri said...

What a great story there is behind those beautiful photos! What a courageous family you have Amy!

Melanie said...

Amy, What a great tribute to the special women in your life! God certainly blessed you a special mother, grandmother and greatgrandmother.

Carol said...

Oh, I love this! The pictures are so sweet. I really love the one of your mom holding you right when she got home from the hospital. Precious!